Friday, August 17, 2007

Immobility

I've been up for two hours, and can still barely move. Good thing it's a state holiday.

Lorna emailed me Wednesday letting me know that I would be racing on Sunday. That was a shock - I just assumed that I wouldn't have a seat. I kind of went into panic mode ... I just wasn't feeling ready for it, and knew then that I was gonna die.

I went for a one-man paddle to Kewalo and back Wednesday. I didn't huli, which was my main goal. My time wasn't so great, and my balance still sucks, but not flipping was a big improvement. It felt good to get back in the water. I even went for a run afterwards. Thursday's practice was long. We did changes out to the Diamond Head buoy, then did a straight run back to Kaka`ako. Then more changes.

I was dreading Thursday, but did all right. My strength didn't suffer at all, and I wasn't winded. My form was weaker, though - I lost some flexibility, and couldn't maintain a good stroke on the faster paces. Overall, though, I surprised myself. I wasn't as behind as I thought I was.

Then I went home and slept twelve hours. Woke up past 11am, and could barely move. I guess I have some catching up to do after all.

No comments: