Sunday, April 13, 2008

Packing

Number of things on my to-do list for today: lots
Number of things done: one

That's about par for the course for Sundays this year. Perhaps this decade.

Right now I'm packing for White Party, which involves emptying my closet and treating my studio like a catwalk. I wish I had it down to a science - and for all I travel I ought to have it down to a science - but packing is still more an art for me. As in, I experiment with dozens of combinations of outfits before I finally settle on one combo that I think will work.

It never does. I will end up wearing the same things over and over, and never touching most of my clothes. It's the same story, no matter how little I pack.

And what do I need this weekend? We'll be dancing all night and most of the day. I need two outfits for dinner, comfortable jeans to dance in, and a few t-shirts to wear when I go on coffee runs during the day. I won't even be wearing a shirt 90% of the time.

But I know these damn LA Boys, and I know they've all bought new designer clothes for every day of this weekend. It's one of the gay high holy days.

I know guys who've done this weekend over a dozen times, and they've given me a road map of when to sleep, what time to arrive at the events, when to relax, and when to rage. Circuit Weekends are funny like that. You really do need to approach them like a marathon, complete with the training and the carbo-loading and the self-pacing. It's all worth it, though. I love the transcendence you can find on the dance floor as the sun starts to rise after you've been dancing all night. It really is a different level of existence, and it's one you have to work for. Some guys can feel it, and understand. I've never been able to explain it to guys who can't.

This weekend I'll be with 10,000 men who understand it instinctively.

No comments: