Wednesday, September 07, 2005

ETOH Redux, and Thieves

I'll keep this vague for the sake of confidentiality. I ran into an old friend, who filled me in on the fall of a mutual acquaintance. She's been drinking a lot, and her story was horribly familiar - right down to the smallest details. Addicts always think that they are so unique; it must come as a shock for them to realize how common and cliched their behavior really is.

I went to a GIS conference this morning, and came out to find that someone had stolen the front and rear lights of my bike. That's not easy - they either broke it off or used a screw. I started a mental tally of how many thefts [bikes, surfboards, radios, CD's] and break-ins I've dealt with over the past couple years, and got myself all riled up. For five years here I never locked my front door. Those days are over.

One day I'll come out and bust someone in the act trying to break in my van or unlock my bike. And I think I might snap. I haven't hit anyone full force since my brother and I got in a fight in third grade. I scared myself, and haven't been the aggressor in a fight since. That will change if I catch one of these iced-out social parasites prowling our streets. I have enough built-up anger to pull a full Christopher Soprano on them. I could break bones.

No comments: