Thursday, September 22, 2005

A life of adventure

Eight and a half days until I get on the plane & take off for six weeks. It doesn't even seem real.

And with all this ahead of me, I'm still fantasizing about what adventures will come next. Hollis in NY is talking about getting a group of guys together for a week in Puerto Vallarta. Ahmed suggested joining him in Egypt next year, and I still want to join Paulo one day in Rio. Rogerio wants to organize a kayak trip along Moloka`i's uninhabited north shore, from Halawa Valley to Kalaupapa. I still have a burning need to return to Sydney for Mardi Gras this Spring. And I want to do it all.

Closer to home, I find this in my email: New Year's Eve in Los Angeles. Deborah Cox opens with a full concert at the Palladium, and then Manny Lehman spins until 4am. Phil B follows with an after-hours set, 4am to noon, at the Hollywood Arena . A diva and my two favorite dj's in one night - that's already a score. Brett Henrichsen ends the weekend at Club Avalon, and I thought that I could skip him - he's never really excited me - until I heard that Club Avalon was in fact the newly remodeled Palace.

And now I have to go. The Palace The Palace The Palace - The Palace was where I first discovered the Circuit. It, along with Ikon and Arq, form the three points of some preternatural triangle where I learned how to achieve transcendence through dance. There were some amazing nights; nights when time would stop, when dawn was an abstract concept, when thousands of men would dance themselves into an alternate state of being and reality.

Those days have peaked; the circuit is in decline; meth and war have delivered a 1-2 punch that sucked much of the joy out of the scene.

But I can already hear the echo of a distant bass vibrating in my soul, and I can feel my spirit starting to lift at the thought that, maybe, we can have one more night of pure fabulousness. I've already started to chat up a crew.

No comments: