Saturday, July 14, 2007

Tossing

They needed a crew to bring the boats to Waikiki tomorrow at 6am. I joined the crew. at 11 am it's easy enough to think you can wake up at 5 the next morning. It doesn't sound so nice when you're looking at it from the night before.

So Tuesday I finally hurled in the canoe. I might be the first, I'm not sure. I know guys have been close. We did some long runs, and then I just hit a point where my body rebelled. Bent my head close to the water & let it rip. Felt better after, too. Roz took us into the waves & let us ride some swells, which was a first. It was also a blast. Our Waikiki race is tomorrow, and that's all swell riding (if it comes in). I'm psyched for it.

This morning was man against nature. We made it to the Diamond Head buoy without trouble, and then Roz had us push on to Black Point. Then the ocean got big. I was stroke for our canoe, and most of the time I was either being thrown airborn & staring at the sky, or under water as our canoe punched through the waves. I tried to keep a good time, but it was tricky. The other canoes both huli'ed. The masters took on too much water until a wave finally knocked them over. The opens got picked up by one wave and thrown under the another. They never had a chance.

So didn't do much the rest of the day. We had started with another hard land work out, and then were in the water hours past what we were planning on, so I was burned & beat. I finally finished another mix, finally cleaned house, and now am ready to pass out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The other canoes both huli'ed. The masters took on too much water until a wave finally knocked them over. The opens got picked up by one wave and thrown under the another. They never had a chance."

Corrections... The Masters Huli-ed, the Opens swamped.

The Opens always had a chance, they just didn't take advantage of it. :)