Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Yakidoshi

Tomorrow is the Asian lunar New Year, and I just found out it's my yakidoshi. I can't find out much about it online, beyond that I'm going to be hounded by bad luck and evil spirits for the next 365 days. I'll be joined by other men aged 25 and 61, and we'll be joined by women aged 19, 33, 37, and 61. Go team!

Looking back ... I was 25 in 1991, my last yakidoshi year. It was a year that began with me being unemployed and broke in San Francisco, and ended with me being stranded on a typhoon-devastated island with a manic-depressive and occasionally filicidal navigator known locally as "the missing link."

There were some good times in between those two lows, but overall: 1991 was the shittiest on record in this man's life. 2008 can't possibly sink lower than that.

Since I'm not superstitious, I ain't gonna be worried.

No comments: