Sunday, August 21, 2005

Gazpacho


I had the house - inside and outside - cleaned by 4pm. What a fucking miracle. I went to Hula's for sunset cocktails - the first time in months - and ran into lots of friends. Then headed home to do some cooking for the week. First up: A new recipe for gazpacho, based on one from Sandi on tribe.net. Not sure yet if it will replace my old, but I like it. It's a bit thicker and meatier than the other. I've never added avocado and egg before, and both seem to add body.

On to the grinds:

5 lg tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded and diced
1 1/2 stalks celery, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 habanero, sliced
1/2 avocado
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/4 chopped red onion
10 oz can beef consomme
11 oz can tomato juice
2 oz anchovies, in oil
2 cloves garlic
1 egg
1 tsp oregano

Puree it all up, and keep in the refrigerator. Tonight I'm loving it. We'll see how it lasts.

No comments: