Monday, November 06, 2006

Eye 3 - Garden Work

Some people can put a rock in their yard & it looks perfect, as if that is exactly where that rock was meant to be. I put a rock in the garden, and people say hey dude, why is there a rock in your yard?

I spent Sunday afternoon, playing in the mud. It's mostly good. Here's the results:

Gary: the orchids on the ladder... scrounge around for clay pots around the yard to put the plastic ones in...it'll look more uniform.

Check. That was easy!

you need to put some stuff around the edge of your koi pond that's not under the tree so the edge "disappears"...see what we did with the pond under the tree...most of the edge is camouflaged by plants?

i want you to get some of those one gallon black plastic pots (smallest size of the pots the anthuriums are in)...maybe about 7 or 8 of them... and maybe 3 that are the size of the anthurium pots... dig up lauwa'i in the yard by that big rock and put em in those pots.

This is where it got tricky. The lauwai send of leaves from shallow runners, and I broke a lot of them trying to get them into pots. I did place them around the pond, and then tried to hide the pots with rocks. My first attempt lacked a certain grace.

Translation: it didn't look like a rock garden, it looked like earthquake damage. My instinct was to say, it'll grow in and move on, but I kept playing with it until it looked casually natural.

Although there is no way these boys are going to stay in their pots! I can already see them plotting their escape. I'm cool with that.

we forgot to plant something in
that little duck next to the water plant...look for something in your yard that'll stay really small..

The ducky got a variegated sage that had been suffering underneath the rosemary.

the hina hina that's on the branch next to the donkey tail? push the left side of it only (over toward the right side about 8 inches...squish it). you want that to be more asymmetrical between the staghorn, donkey tail and hina hina...right now the hina hina looks like laundry on a clothes line...not so natural...

Ooh. This is where my skills failed me. I was trying to drape the hina hina, but was destroying the pony tail in the process. I managed to get a few strands of hina to stick, but they fell off when I watered. Aye. I did push the clump around to make it look assymetrical. Pushing I can do, and assymetry comes easy.

And David just brought these by, the last refugees from Tom's place: two wreaths with bromeliad keiki woven in. Any suggestions?






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Punk
gardening is like cooking, and/or great sex. You just have to make sure you got all the right ingredients and then play around. Basic thing is to keep like plants together (hhhmmm) so you know the sunlight and watering measures then half the work is done. Kinda like sex, did I mention that?